This ‘icecream’ is a fantastic, refreshing and tasty alternative to normal icecream if you are either trying to be good, avoid dairy or just want to try something different! It can also act as a base and take on numerous other flavours to suit any palate – try adding good quality cocoa powder to please the chocaholics out there, or berries for a fruity punch. I have added milled linseeds and flaxseeds here for added health benefits and texture. It is also super easy to make and doesn’t require an icecream maker.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 can of coconut milk (you can use a lighter one for an even healthier option or whole milk for a more decadent treat)
- 100g sugar/sweetener or 4 tablespoons of agave syrup or alternative.
- Juice of 2 limes
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon good quality vanilla syrup
- Optional added ingredients e.g. berries (can be frozen), banana, chocolate powder or nibs etc.
- 1. In a saucepan add juice, zest, vanilla syrup and choice of sweetener. Bring to the boil, turn down heat and then simmer until sugar is dissolved. Once dissolved remove from the heat, pour into a bowl and leave to cool.
- 2. Whilst the syrup is cooling, peel and pit the avocados into a bowl. Add the coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
- 3. Mix in the syrup until combined. At this point you can also add any other optional ingredients.
- 4. Pour the mixture into a suitable container and put into the freezer. If you have an icecream maker you can put the mixture in here to freeze. If not, every half an hour whisk the mixture until frozen
- 5. Enjoy!