Raw Vegan Paleo Brownies
I love these chocolatey beauties. They sort of defy reason- how can something so free of so much stuff taste so indulgent, gooey and chocolatey?! These are vegan, gluten free, dairy free, low carb and free of refined sugars. This is the base recipe but for hose who follow me on social media, you will probably have seen how versatile they can be. Load them with fruit, nuts and cookie to make an amazing rocky road or sandwich some peanut butter in the middle and top wit raw peanuts for a seriously nutty, protein-packed kick. I also enjoy adding oats which gives them a fluffier, more cake-like consistency.
Recently I have started to use them as trail running or cycling snacks as they contain a lot of moderate to slow release energy with none of the highly refined sugar or preservatives that can turn your stomach.
Also, tasting so damn chocolatey but having no refined sugars or preservatives also makes it perfect as a snack for kids when they ratty on a day out!
- 1 cup Almonds (soaked)
- 1 cup Pecans or Cashews (soaked)
- 1 cup Dates (pitted)
- 3 Tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- Optional: Honey to sweeten if required, extra nuts or seeds, oats, raisins, peanut butter etc.
- 1. Put nuts and dates in a blender and blend until paste consistency required.
- 2. Add cocoa powder and blitz.
- 3. Add extra ingredients and blitz.
- 4. Line a dish with clingfilm.
- 5. Press mixture in a dish. If you want a peanut butter layer in the centre, press half the mixture into the dish first, spread a layer of peanut butter and add the extra half of the mixture on top.
- 7. Press seeds/ raisins/ nuts on top if you wish.
- 8. Put into a freezer for half an hour (and store here if required) or in a fridge overnight until firm. Cut into serving size chunks and wrap in clingfilm.
- 9. Enjoy!